On the weekend edition of Wrestling Observer Radio (subscription needed), Dave Meltzer reported that John Cena will be returning to the ring at this year’s WrestleMania in Tampa, FL.
Meltzer said the plan is believed to be for Cena to wrestle Elias, a decision he called “underwhelming.” Cena interrupted Elias’ “concert” at last year’s WrestleMania in his Doctor of Thuganomics character and gave Elias the Attitude Adjustment/F.U. The two also had a confrontation at WrestleMania 34 before Cena lost to the Undertaker in a quick and surprise match.
On last week’s WWE Backstage, Cena was announced as returning to WWE TV on the Friday, February 28th edition of SmackDown from Boston, MA. Meltzer said the angle for his Mania return will likely kick off on that show.
The 42-year-old Cena hasn’t competed in a WWE ring since January 2019 when he was in a triple threat match with Finn Balor and Drew McIntyre. He last appeared on WWE TV last July in a SmackDown rap battle segment with the Usos.
Last week, Meltzer confirmed that the Undertaker vs. AJ Styles is also planned for the WWE’s biggest show of the year. He added on last night’s show that Goldberg is not in the plans for Mania.
Other matches that have been announced or planned to be announced for April 5th include WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs. McIntyre, WWE Universal Champion Bray Wyatt vs. Roman Reigns, Edge vs. Randy Orton, NXT Champion Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair.