The pro-democracy crowds in central Hong Kong are growing, not shrinking, after more than three days of sustained protest.
Even heavy rains and thunder storms that soaked the city on Tuesday could not shake the determination of the crowds. As the South China Morning Post reports on its live coverage page:
Click Here: NRL Telstra Premiership
Despite a call earlier on Tuesday by Leung Chun-ying, the chief executive of Hong Kong, that demonstrators should end their barricaded sit-in in the city’s center, those rallying under the name ‘Occupy Central with Peace and Love’ appear to be digging in, not giving up.
Leung gave a brief public speech in which he said he would not resign, as protesters have demanded, but said that the protests are proving disruptive to their fellow citizens and should end. Backed by leaders in Beijing, Leung acknowledged that the protesters appeared to have staying-power, but said demands for more control over the elected leadership and governance of Hong Kong will not be entertained by leaders in China.
“The central government will not rescind its decision,” Leung said.
According to the Post:
The protesters meanwhile, who are sparking solidarity protests worldwide for their courageous stand against Chinese one-party rule, say they are now organizing for the long haul and planning wider actions. As the Guardian reports:
And the Associated Press adds: